PURPOSE AND OBJECTS OF THE JOB
To contribute to the delivery of a high quality and customer focussed and business-minded Planning service through the efficient, effective and professional processing of a caseload of pre-application enquiries, development applications and appeals, the investigation of alleged breaches of planning control and through the monitoring for compliance of schemes under construction.
To provide professional and timely advice to developers, consultees and local communities on development proposals to ensure high quality development is delivered for the benefit of the wider community.
To give effect to the Council’s planning policies and corporate strategies through the development management process.
Control of Resources
Equipment/Materials: Responsible for the efficient and effective use of equipment and materials used by the post holder.
Responsible for the safety and welfare of self and colleagues in accordance with the Health and Safety Policies of the Council.
Equality and Diversity
To work in accordance with the Authority’s Policy relating to the promotion of Equality and Diversity.
Training and Development
The post holder will be responsible for assisting in the identification and undertaking of his/her own training and development requirements in accordance with the Council’s Performance Management Framework.
Relationships (Internal and External)
· Staff within the Planning Service and the wider Economy Directorate;
· Relevant Officers in other Council Services and partner organisations;
· Members of the Council;
· Planning & Licensing Committee and other Committees or Working Parties of the Council.
· Members of the public/representatives of community groups and voluntary organisations and the business community;
· Officers of other local authorities, GMCA and other public service bodies;
· Private, professional and technical personnel (including builders and developers);
· Representatives of Government Departments;
· Members of Parliament.
The post holder must –
(i) Perform their duties in accordance with legislation, the Council’s policies and procedures including Code of conduct for Members and Officers, service Codes of Practice, approved Delegation Scheme and any other policies adopted by the Service
(ii) Perform their duties in accordance with Rochdale MBC’s Equality and Diversity Policy.
(iii) Ensure that Rochdale Council's commitment to public service orientation, equality and diversity and care of our customers is provided.
Values and Behaviours
Approach the job at all times using the values set out below
• Pioneering and Open
Be aware of and apply these behaviours at all times
1. To assist in the delivery of a professional, efficient and cost effective Planning service that meets legal and policy requirements, performs above national and corporate performance targets and standards and is transparent and accessible to customers.
2. To professionally process a caseload of pre-application enquiries, planning applications and appeals in an efficient and effective manner ensuring that statutory requirements are fully complied with and national and local performance targets are exceeded.
3. To advise applicants, the public, Councillors and partner organisations on progress and recommendations relating to development proposals, including the preparation of legally sound and robust reports and recommendations for applications to be determined under delegated powers, or by Planning & Licensing Committee, as appropriate.
4. To apply the Council’s policies broadly, positively and proactively through negotiations on development proposals with applicants, developers, local communities, Council services, to secure high quality development schemes, and to secure planning obligations where appropriate.
5. To work in partnership with other Council services, partner organisations, local communities and external stakeholders to promote successful and high quality development to secure regeneration and investment within the Borough.
6. To advise members of the public, developers, other professional groups, organisations and individuals and other Council services, Members of Council and Members of Parliament on development management issues and procedures offering advice and guidance, including the initiation of correspondence, on such matters in accordance with Service and Council Policies and objectives.
7. To display professional competency, maintaining an up to date knowledge of legislation, planning policies and guidance and apply this to ensure legally sound, quality and robust recommendations in accordance with legislation, the development management framework and the Council’s Delegation Scheme.
8. To ensure the Council’s Code of Conduct for Members and Officers dealing with planning matters is fully complied with.
9. To present the Council’s case at planning and/or enforcement appeals including the preparation of statements and proofs of evidence; appearing at public inquiries as the Council’s expert witness, attending Court as appropriate.
10. To investigate alleged breaches of planning control and monitor and report on development schemes to ensure they are being constructed in accordance with relevant consents, including advising on and initiating enforcement action where appropriate.
11. To support and advise enforcement staff on the need for, and appropriate use of, enforcement powers relating to complaints received by the Service.
12. To support the preparation, monitoring and review of planning briefs, the Council’s Local Development Framework and other Supplementary Planning Documents, guidance and advice.
13. To effectively utilise relevant information technology and to identify and support the implementation of business improvements across the Development Management Service.
14. To attend Committees, partnerships, working parties and public meetings as may be required by the Development Manager or wider Service Management Team.
1. To provide relief cover for other team members to ensure continuity of service.
2. To participate in in-service training (both as a trainer and trainee) to ensure that staff within the service and / or Members of Council, colleagues from other Services are properly trained on planning matters.
3. To undertake such other duties and responsibilities of an equivalent nature as may reasonably be determined by the Development Manager, Assistant Development Manager and/or the Service Management Team in consultation with the post holder and, if she / he wishes, his / her trade union representative.
You must have:
- Post qualified experience.
- References required for the last 5 years of employment.
Benefits of working with Semester.co.uk:
- Free on-going training opportunities upon registering as part of our commitment to you.
- Competitive Rates of pay
- In house payroll, providing weekly payments and support
- Enhanced DBS completed.
- Support and expert advice from an approachable, dedicated and friendly team
- An assigned dedicated & experienced consultant
- Various employment opportunities in your preferred geographical area
- Flexible hours to meet your needs, full or part time
- Recommend a friend bonus scheme
- “Find your own job” bonus – get £250 for bringing your own position to us *
If you would like to find out more information about this role, or the other opportunities Semester.co.uk have available feel free to click the 'Apply' button below or contact the team on 0161 4199285**